Whew! After a whirlwind couple of weeks, the grand opening was a huge success! I could've lived without the rain, which put a bit of a damper on the festivities, but overall, it was fabulous. After the rain, the bus was filled with mud. Crazy, prehistoric mud that while perfect for mud pies, absolutely sucks in a bus. It's just so hard to get out. I did my best yesterday but since it's raining again today, there's no telling what condition it will be in when I go by there later today. Anyway, I think everyone had a great time and the feedback was amazing. I loved the prize wheel! People spun the wheel then answered a question relating to the category they landed on. If they got it right, they got a prize. Oh my gosh, you should've seen the pages on the ceiling after the rain. They were wrinkled like crazy. But surprisingly, they didn't fall down.
Experienced a tiny setback on Saturday. The pages I pasted onto the ceiling began to peel off. Clearly, I used the wrong adhesive and totally ignored Heagan's instructions to apply the adhesive to both the ceiling and the pages before attaching them. I should know by now to just do what he says. So back to Home Depot for contact cement. With a little help from a friend, the pages are now reattached. I'll go back in tomorrow and see if they're staying put. Next is to attach the moulding around the top and bottom of the windows. I think I need a Plan B because I have a feeling this is going to be one of those tasks that's much more difficult and time-consuming than it seems.
I pretty much finished painting the bus last weekend. Just needs some touching up. It was so hot in there that the paint was drying way too quickly. So the finish isn't as smooth and perfect as I would like it to be. And the emergency door and wheelchair door look terrible. I think I'll mask the windows and spray the doors with Kilz. I'm thinking of using duct tape to cover the handles. Now I'm attaching the book pages to the ceiling. I really like where it's going. Freaking out a bit because there still is so much to do before October 12.
Floor is in! I could not be more excited. It took about a day and a half and honestly, Heagan did all the work. There are advantages to being a girl. He wouldn't let me touch the power tools so basically I stood in the bus while he busted his hump in 100-degree weather. He must really love me. Anyway, the floor looks amazing and all we have left on that front is to attach some metal something and then the quarter-round.
Progress! Finally got all the seats out and thanks to my daughter's help, the bus is clean. Now there's a pile of old seats behind the bus waiting to be hauled off somewhere. Just not sure what to do with them. Fort Worth's drop off (for large household items) won't take them and it's $70 to drop them off at the dump. I bought the flooring for the bus and will probably install it sometime in the next couple of weeks. I've started priming the interior and hope to finish painting this weekend. Also, had a great meeting with the folks from Fort Worth South, the awesome organization that keeps the Near South Side an amazing place to live, work and play. They put on ArtsGoggle every year and it's the perfect venue in which to debut Words on Wheels. So October 12 will be the grand opening date for WoW.
We found this bookshelf at IKEA. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but the shelf is open on all sides. I think it might work well, and it's inexpensive. Unlike every other thing that has gone into this project. We found a cute little turquoise shelf, too. I thought about putting it in the bus but decided it's perfect for my bathroom.
This photo has nothing to do with the bus. Just wanted to add some random cuteness to the page. This is Fiona and she could not be more evil. But she is seriously cute. Back to the bus. Crazy excited about the logo Cassie designed. It's amazing. She gave me several options and it was incredibly difficult to decide on one, but I'm happy with my choice. Once it's finalized, I'll post it here and start using it on all my materials. On a more mundane note, we removed three more seats from the bus today. Heagan bought an impact driver and that made it so much easier. We can only work a couple of hours at a time since it's so dang hot. But at least we're making progress. He promised to have all the seats removed by the time I get back from South Africa on August 22.